Windows 11 version 22H2 is the first feature update that is to be released in the next few months. The update is FREE and focuses on refining and enhancing the operating system productivity and improving tablet user experiences.
What’s new to File Explorer
Tabs support is a long-awaited and highly requested feature that will finally be available in this update.
Easy-Access Tabs at the Top
Like a web browser, users can add a tab in File Explorer by clicking the plus ‘+’ icon and closing them with the ‘X’ icon. Users can also move a tab within the tab stripe on the title bar of File Explorer. Easily any folder in a new tab by right-clicking on the folder and selecting “open in new tab”.
Left Navigation Sidebar
The left navigation sidebar was also updated in File Explorer, promising a clean look and an easy way to navigate your favourite folders. The redesigned sidebar provides quick access to pinned and frequently used folders.
The File Explorer has more integration with OneDrive, with a new drop-down menu that appears, you can also see the exact path you are navigating to files in the address bar and you can see how much cloud storage you are using. The exact path is displayed in the address bar as you navigate to files synced to your OneDrive.
More noteworthy features that are coming soon to your Windows 11 device are:
- App folders in the Start menu
- Resizable pinned area in Start menu
- Drag and Drop on the Taskbar
- File Explorer tab support
- Focus Assist integration with Notification Center
- New “Spotlight” wallpaper feature
- New Voice Access accessibility feature
- New Live Captions accessibility feature
- New gestures and animations for touch users
- New snap layouts bar when moving app windows
- New Task Manager app
- Better OneDrive integration with File Explorer
- Numerous UI improvements and consistency updates